Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Homemade Chips

I love chips, whether it be potato chips or tortilla chips. The problem is, they are not so healthy, and lead too, well, a big gut. So, with my wife's keen observing eyes, we have started to make our own homemade chips.

First, homemade potato chips. These are really easy. You peel a potato, then slice it super thin.  You season one side and place in the oven at 450 degrees for minutes. You then take them out of the oven, flip, coat with olive oil, season and throw back in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.  Super yummy and quick and easy.

Now on to homemade tortilla chips. These aren't super easy like the potato chips. For these,  you take tortillas and bake them. What I am trying right now, is using homemade tortillas. That's right, I said homemade tortillas. To do that is very simple.  You put flour, oil, water and salt in a bowl, mix it all up like bread, separate into little balls, and then flatten into tortilla shape. Then you fry it for 1 minute or so on each side. Once you have the tortillas done, you make the chips.  To do that, I simply am going to cut the tortillas into smaller triangles, place them on a cookie sheet, season and throw them in an oven at 400 degrees, and cook for 5-7 minutes. You want the tortilla chips to be slightly curled and lightly brown.

Since I know what is going into the food, I know there are no fatty oils, preservatives  and other stuff I can't pronounce. It's great to know that about my food. Plus, they taste great too.

Jeff




No comments:

Post a Comment