Monday, October 15, 2012

Food shopping part I

So the journey started last month and so far I have lost 12 pounds. The beginning was a very easy part.   I knew that to start I had to change my lifestyle and that meant less fast food and take out nights. So my wife and I began cooking at home more but making healthy food.

Now the biggest thing to know about shopping in a grocery store to eat healthy is knowing what to stay away from. After seeing how grocery stores are set up, I realized that the healthiest way to shop is by shopping on the outer walls of the grocery store. All the good, healthy, and nutritious food to live a healthy life style is all on the outer walls of the store (plus these areas are less crowded and easy to get in and out of). The stuff in the aisles is full of preservatives and fillers but don't get me wrong you will still have to venture into these aisles but you need to be wary. One big thing we shop for is pasta since my wife LOVES pasta but to be healthier we pick up whole grain pasta and not the bleached pasta. We also pick up tomato sauce but try as much as possible to stay away from Prego and Ragu type of sauces  We pick up cans of sauce and season them ourselves with most times fresh vegetables to maintain healthiness and put the extra in tub a ware and freeze them until the next time making pasta. The other aisle is the baking aisle so we can pick up items to make our own breakfast bar items and healthier desserts than those already made.

Now to list some of the amazing benefits of shopping this way. The major thing I have noticed is that I feel more energetic than before and that's with cutting out a lot of caffeine such as soda and energy drinks. The other much appreciated benefit is how well I have been sleeping. Without all the extra sugar and caffeine I am able to get to bed easier and sleep more soundly. I bring up sleep because if getting the proper amount of sleep can help lose weight because it will align your metabolism with your daily routine. So my idea of losing weight is not by doing some crash diet to fail shortly after stopping or giving up part way through because I'm miserable with what I'm putting in my body. With this shopping, you can still eat good tasting food and work towards your goal.

3 comments:

  1. What about chocolate? Where would that fit in to healthy eating? And what about booze? That's on the outside of a store....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate would depend on what kind of chocolate your buying and how much you are consuming. Dark chocolate in moderation is good for you. As for booze, in studies it has been said that 2-3 drinks per week are actually good for your heart (if not consuming mixed drinks with soda) but red wine would be the healthiest or mixed with 100% fruit juice not preserved juice.

      Delete
  2. Jeff, you are very cute. Since you talked about red wine, does that mean we can buy more of it?

    ReplyDelete